Whether you want to dress up a mirror or re-vamp an old table, adding tile mosaic is a gorgeous way to create a look of luxury and eclectic detail anywhere in your home. Follow these simple steps to learn how to create your own mosaics, even if you’re not exactly an expert crafter.
- Gather your materials. For this project, you’ll need shiny wall tiles in your chosen color scheme, a hammer, grout, grout sealant, and mastic adhesive.
- Sketch a design. Use a marker to map out the general design right onto the tabletop.
- Break the tiles. Wrap one tile at a time in a sturdy cloth and then break it with the hammer. Be careful not to hit the tile too hard or you’ll remove the glaze.
- Place the tiles. Pick out pieces of the tile that match up with the shapes that you drew on the table, then attach them with the mastic adhesive.
- Fill in the gaps. Use the grout and the grout float to fill in all of the gaps between the tiles. Wipe off the excess grout using a sponge and let it dry for about one full day.
- Seal. Use a wipe-on sealant to seal the tiles and the grout together.